If you are like most people, you feel increased stress with running a business. Tensions can run high from the pressure of getting the proper employees in place or coming up with the funds to finance your planned expansion.
But you owe it to yourself to keep your stress under control as much as possible. When your body is subjected to ongoing stress, unhealthy changes occur at the chemical level, and these changes can lead to food cravings and weight gain.
How does your body react to stress?
When you experience stress, your body releases a hormone called cortisol. In small amounts, cortisol does not present a problem. But when the stress is chronic, the concentration of cortisol in your body stays elevated with undesirable results.
For example, you will crave foods that will give you quick energy, such as candy bars and potato chips. And the presence of cortisol will cause many of these extra calories to be stored as abdominal fat.
You may also find it hard to eat in moderation while stressed, because cortisol can interfere with the chemicals in your body that control appetite.
And now for the good news…
While you can never get away from all stress, there is much you can do to keep it under control and thus temper its effects on you. Consider the following tips to outsmart stress in your life.
- Exercise. You can reduce cortisol levels in your body by exercising just thirty minutes each day.
- Eat Well. During times of stress, fuel your body smartly. Be intentional about eating nourishing foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein and nuts.
- Don’t skimp on sleep. By getting at least eight hours of sleep each night you can reduce your cortisol level by more than halfof that of people who get less than six hours.
- Identify your stress. Take the time to sort out exactly what is causing you to feel stressed. Once you pinpoint exactly where the stress is coming from, you can take steps to take care of the problem.
- Make time to relax. Taking time to unwind is not a luxury; it is a necessity if you are going to master your stress. Find something that makes you laugh and smile, get a massage or just breathe deeply. Your mind has a profound impact on your body; take advantage of this by finding time to relax every day.
What do you do to relieve stress in your life?
Contacting the Pinnacle Group of Companies is your first step!